Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Flip-It Friday: Shopping Rules

I don't mean that like "yeah, Shopping RUUUULES! Working DROOOOOLS."

I mean that like "I need boundaries."

I don't like-like shopping. I like-like finding things that I can wear, but the hunt for them is often labor-intensive for me.

And its usually online.

Source: america-today.com via J on Pinterest

I went to a TJ Maxx last weekend while in Boca and was only able to spend money on 2 tank tops and a skirt because I was (to quote the locals) schvetzing in my current clothes and needed a warm-weather shirt to hold me over.

And the vacation-spirit afforded me the energy to buy a colorful skirt at a discount. I felt like such a winner.

Until I had to carry that shiz around with me for the rest of the day.

"Oh no, I'm fine. I don't need to go back to the car to put these things down. I can carry them," said my stupid self.

So for all my ladies out there who can't stand shopping (all 3 of you - holler!), here they are...

My Rules of Shopping:

1) Only bother picking up the things that you know are in your color or a style that looks good on you. If you can't wear yellow, put down the yellow. If all else fails, go for over-sized shirt + tight pants.

2) If you are between sizes, take more than one size to the dressing room. If they only have size "wrong", don't even bother trying it on.

3) Try it on. Don't wing it. You know you don't want to come back here to return it. Yes, some girls can take it home to try it on, look at it in the right lighting, pair it with the right shoes. But you aren't this girl. You are committed. Or at least, you are are lazy.

4) If it fits and it comes in more than one color (that looks good on you - see #1), get 2 colors.

5) If it fits, you like it, it's in your color, it's affordable but you have no reason to wear it (pink Ralph Lauren ball gown that makes you look like Gwyneth), put it down. Why did you even pick it up? We don't have time for this!

6) Shop online. Put the items you want in your shopping cart and minimize/click out of the window for a few minutes  If you still want the items after a bit, go ahead and purchase. If not, chances are you are just feeling fat/tired/bored/listless and need to go run/walk/doodle/write a letter/have a salad.

What are your shopping rules? What advice do you have for someone like me who gets overwhelmed with shopping?