This one is going to be predictable and easy-peasy. Just a list of what I've read recently and what I'd suggest. The list is in descending order of my favorites to my least favorites.
Rules of Civility
Half Broke Horses
Let's Pretend This Never Happened
The Phantom Tollbooth
Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power
Steve Jobs by Walter Isascson
I am currently in limbo on what to pick up next. I downloaded War and Peace and Heart of Darkness on my Kindle. W&P is over 1,000 pages long and after reading just the preface for a day, I have yet to get past 1% on reading progress. I'm thinking this was a bad choice for Kindle reading because you don't get the satisfaction of literally cracking the halfway point on this monster. Who am I kidding. I won't crack the halfway point. Even Tolsoy's biographic preface is a turn-off.
Anyone read W&P?
What are you reading?
Any suggestions for me?
I prefer good writing over a fast plot. I like brevity in explanation (which is why I think W&P is a good challenge for me), imperfect but strong characters, poetic dialog, allegory and some elements of history or real-life. I don't enjoy dialectic speech, pop-lit, sci-fi or fluffy romances. If the books I like were turned into movies, they'd star Meryl Streep, Carey Mulligan, Olivia Wilde or Diane Keaton (she's crazy, yes?). I could imagine any one of them putting a revolver in their handbag then smashing a glass door with the loaded bag to punctuate a point (see Half Broke Horses). That kinda stuff makes me want to read on.