Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Tipsy Tuesday: Phoning it in with Drift
I'm having a very busy day today. As I boasted to my sister recently, I can add "Project Management" to my resume. I am in charge of some big, expensive initiatives in my office and am battling agendas and office politics to win a better, brighter tomorrow for my team. It sounds like I'm a politician. Ha!
Speaking of politics, let's bring it in for a fireside chat. Imma gonna phone it in today. My book club is reading Rachel Maddow's book Drift. I'm in chapter 4 and liking it so far. It's eye opening. And, on the heels of a very patriotic holiday, it's ironic.
I'm in the heart of the chapters on "Reagan screwed it up a bit". Its all so interesting. I love how she refers the military as a "jobs program" and how nukes can "go rotten". Its a hot topic that we need to talk about. Rachel's side on the issue is slightly evident, but she also presents facts and lets the reader disagree with her if he or she chooses. If you know Rachel like I know Rachel (we're chums from way back!), then you know she invites debate!
Tipsy Tuesday: Read something that expands your mind. I know that a lot of people make their summer reading more along the lines of brain candy. Have a brain salad. Put down the tween-lit and even the comedian memoirs. Shelf the magazines and even put away the audio books. If those are brain candy, try a brain salad instead. Dressing on the side. Go in for the kill, my friends.
I like to alternate my brain candy and brain salad. I read The Phantom Tollbooth before this and plan to read Let's Pretend This Never Happened after this. And after that I might try to finish Capital Punishment. (It got a bit convoluted and I lost interest with only 1/4 left to go. Not unusual for me as I often take 2 tries to read a book.)
Beverage pairing: Wine cocktail
Ingredients: Malbec, dark rum, bar sugar, seltzer, orange, ice
Instructions: Pour a bit or rum in a glass; pour 3x the amount of wine as you did rum into the glass; add a teaspoon of sugar; stir to dissolve sugar (bar sugar is finely ground so it will dissolve more quickly), add ice cubes, top with seltzer, garnish with a twist of orange rind; drink slowly and with caution as this is both powerful and pleasant.